Body pillows. They are not pillows just for you to snuggle with through a lonely night. They offer many more benefits, especially to pregnant women, those with back or neck pain and people who find it difficult sleeping.
Body pillows help give you a good night’s sleep, because disturbed sleep is usually a consequence of physical discomfort. The mattress you sleep on may not be right for you as not many know how to choose the correct mattress.
Sometimes you may find the new bed is not as comfortable as it was when you had tried it out in the store. If this is the case, a good pillow is often the remedy to the problem. Even good mattresses are not usually enough for a good night’s sleep as though you can use one or more pillows to support your neck and shoulders, there’s nothing to support your knees, hips and lower back. Moreover, in case of those who sleep on their sides, this position may increase pressure on the hip, causes a slight twist on the knees, legs and hips and eventually strain the lower back.
Top 8 Best Pregnancy Pillow Reviews 2016
Review of Oversized – Total Body Pregnancy Maternity Pillow- READ FULL REVIEW
Web Linens Inc
|Review of Snoogle Chic Total Body Pillow – READ FULL REVIEW||Leachco||$$||4.5|
PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow – READ FULL REVIEW
Body Pillow by Snuggle-Pedic – Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Combination With Kool-Flow Cover – READ FULL REVIEW
|Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow – READ FULL REVIEW||Leachco||$$||4.5|
Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow – READ FULL REVIEW
Leachco Snoogle Chic Total Body Pillow – READ FULL REVIEW
The Original Shredded Memory Foam Body Pillow with Viscose Rayon Cover derived from Bamboo – READ FULL REVIEW
|Coop Home Goods||$$||4.33|
A good night’s sleep
It is a good body pillow or side sleeper pillow which provides a remedy to all this. These pillows are specially designed so that you can comfortably place them in between your knees to sleep better. You can also use it to rest your upper leg on to reduce the pressure of your hips when in contact with the bed. It also helps reduce any twisting of your lower back.
Besides reducing the pressure on hip joints and providing relief to painful knee joints, body pillows also offer comfort of having something to hug while sleeping! Though many don’t admit it, not only children but also many adults find their sleep better hugging a pillow!
So if reading all this interests you into buying a pillow, you may find these tips helpful in choosing the best body pillow. You may need these tips as there are so many types of body pillows in the market made in various shapes and sizes, and filled with different products and available in various prices. Moreover, as you can get pillows for as cheap as $20 and as expensive as $100; you naturally wonder what the difference is, and look for help in choosing the right one.
You basically need to keep these factors in mind while looking for the best full body pillow:
- Size: This is top priority as you need to choose based on your size. Consequently, remember that the bigger is the pillow, the more filling it carries which in turn increases its price. In other words, bigger and longer body pillows are more expensive than shorter and smaller pillows.
- Design or shape: Of course the pillows with exquisite shapes and designs look better on the bed. However this comes with a price as pillows with complex designs and shapes take more time and effort to make.
While straight and ‘C’ shaped pillows are comfortable, they only support one side of the body for cuddling. U shaped pillows are a better choice as they provide support to your back and sides so that there’s no need of any balancing.
- Filling: Choose your pillow based on its filling as not only are the higher quality fillings more expensive, it also determines some of the pillow’s characteristics. It determines the pillow’s shape, how it holds, if it is hypoallergenic, if it’s supple when flattened, if it’s washable and if the pillow holds or removes your body heat.
The memory foam pillow is one of the better body pillows to buy. Though it’s slightly expensive, it molds itself to your body shape when you rest on it but returns to its original shape once you get up.
- Guarantee and warranty: Just in case you are not happy with the body pillow it’s always better to buy one which has a money back guarantee. This way you are at least assured you can ask for a refund if you are not satisfied with the pillow. The pillow should also come with a warranty against flattening as some pillows are not resilient to flattening.
- Standard of quality: Like everything else, better quality pillows are more expensive. These are usually the hand sewn pillows and longer lasting than others.
- Place of manufacture: Pillows made in other countries where labor is cheap will cost cheaper than pillows made in countries where labor is expensive.
- The person using the pillow: You need to choose your pillow based on who’s using it as small structured people need smaller pillows and larger sized people, larger sized ones. In case you are looking for a pregnancy body pillow to use while travelling, a petite pillow proves to be a worthy buy.
- Usage: If you plan to use your pillow for other reasons than sleeping, than you need to choose based on your usage. If you plan to use it in various positions while reading, watching TV, sitting up in bed or in a car, it’s better looking for longer pillows. They are a better choice than shorter, straight and ‘C’ shaped pillows.
Top Memory Foam Pillow
InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow (25″ x 24″ x 12″) with High Quality, Removable Cover – READ FULL REVIEW
Your sleeping position
While these are most of the factors to consider buying the best body pillow, your sleeping position too factors. In fact, it is the most important factor to consider while buying a pregnancy body pillow.
Back sleepers should opt for thinner pillows with protect your head from moving forward as it provides support both on your right and left. In case you tend to sleep on your side, look for a firm pillow as it fills up the space in between your shoulder and ear. Firm pillows also provide support to the front and back of your body so that you don’t ‘roll back’ at night.
If you tend to sleep on your stomach, look for a thin but very flat pillow to avoid lower back pain and problems. If you want some support in between knees, you need a long pillow which reaches from under the head and neck to your knees. If you are looking for support between ankles, look for pillows which support and prevent knocking of ankles.
Body pillows for neck pain
Body pillows also prove helpful at providing relief from neck pain. It helps you sleep better as it’s conveniently tucked into various parts of your body to provide better support to your neck and back. In case of neck pain, it should be placed behind your body into the space between your shoulders and other pillows you use.
This way the pillow keeps your neck in proper alignment, and supports your back, while you sleep on your side. You can also hug the pillow high on your body while lying on your side to provide support to your neck. The pillow thus cradles your neck and holds it in a proper position when you sleep, without the need of any other pillow.
Top 3 Body Pillows For Neck Pain
Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow – READ FULL REVIEW
|Duro-Med Relax-a-Bac, Lumbar Back Support Cushion Pillow with Insert and Strap to Properly Align the Spine and Ease Lower Back Pain – READ FULL REVIEW||Duro-Med||$$||4.0|
Sleep Innovations Cool Contour Memory Foam Pillow – READ FULL REVIEW
Some famous body pillows
- The Boppy body pillow is one of the more popular pregnancy body pillows developed by a physical therapist to provide pregnant women with customized support. They come with Velcro pieces so that you can choose the right combination at providing neck, head and back support as required. You can also look for extended length pillows which provide support all the way to your ankles too.
- The Leachco Snoogle total body pillow is called the ‘mother of all pregnancy pillows’. This is a horseshoe shaped pillow which helps you sleep in your favored position and height. It’s slightly curved ends snugly tuck in between knees while its long midsection provides for total back or tummy support.
The Anime Body Pillow is also called a hugging pillow to give you the companionship you seek on a lonely night. They are very soft body sized pillows and known for the ultimate comfort it offers.
So they are not only useful for medical purposes, but also provides a sense of companionship. These pillows usually contain large size graphics of anime characters, which may also be suggestive in nature.
All these tips, and descriptions of popular body pillows, should help you buy the best body pillow for yourself. Once you have made your choice, its better buying an extra pillow case with it. You can thus use this extra case when the other is in the wash.
It’s up to you to decide if you want the extra case to be of a different color or fabric. Its better buying dual-zipper pillow cases as they are easier to use. All you have to do is can unzip both zippers and then you can easily put the entire pillow in the case.